Download a Printable Moving Checklist
We know the moving process can sometimes be massive and stressful. We’ve seen it all too often, in the mad rush to pack details overlooked, steps skipped, and mistakes made these cause an already taxing time to become overwhelming. We can’t promise a stress-free move, but with this moving checklist, you can minimize the risk of unforeseen issues and bumps in the road to your new home.Not all of the items may apply to your specific situation, and your timetable may differ depending on your circumstances.
Use the below checklist as a framework and as a tool in your stress-reduction arsenal. If you have any questions about the moving process, please contact us right away. We’re here to help.
2 Months in Advance
- If hiring movers, contact and choose a moving company. Get estimates and references from multiple companies.
- If moving yourself, contact and choose a moving rental company. Get estimates and references from multiple companies.
- Choose a storage facility (if not moving into your new home right away).
- Begin to remove clutter - start with the basement, attic and garage.
- Start a file of moving paperwork and expenses. These costs can be taken as tax credits and deductions.
Get copies of records:
- Kids: School
- Family: Medical, dental, legal records
- Pets: Veterinary
- Gather/organize important personal, family, and financial records/documents.
6 Weeks in Advance
- Schedule moving date/ reserve truck.
- Dispose of items that can't be moved (paints, cleaners, propane, and other flammables)
- Recycle old electronics, plastics, metal, papers, etc.
- Get antiques or valuables appraised.
- Order moving materials (if needed).
- Start to pack: seasonal clothing and other items not in immediate use.
- Clean out old closets and drawers.
- Hold a garage or moving sale.
- Give items away to charity.
2-4 Weeks in Advance
Medical Care: Research new medical professionals for you and your family
- Make travel arrangements for pets.
File changes of address with:
- Credit card companies
- Send new address to friends/family members
- Complete change of address with post office: www.usps.com/umove
- Transfer automobile registration and driver's license. (out of state moves, see destination DMV site for details).
- Create an important info folder about your house for the next owner. Include your new address for mail forwarding.
Schedule stop of services for old property/ start of services at new property:
- Utilities (electricity, water, gas, trash)
- Cancel automatic bill pay set-up for the above services (if applicable)
- Contact insurance companies for moving coverage and to transfer
1 Week in Advance
- If using a mover: Confirm dates and time of packing and moving.
- If moving yourself: Confirm moving truck.
- Use up or give away food and supplies that cannot be moved.
- Confirm travel arrangements.
Pack a travel kit for you and your family members:
- Financial items: credit cards, cash, etc.
- Travel: Passports, birth certificates.
- Children: Toys, medications, books, clothing, car seat, stroller.
- Clothing/Personal Supplies: items needed during the move period (Medications, toiletries, valuables, firearms, paperwork).
- Pay any final bills.
- Transfer safe deposit box contents to new branch.
- Clear paths in the home to make it "move ready."
- Clear the surfaces of all furniture to be moved, and disassemble any items that can be.
1 Day in Advance & Moving Day
- Final packing/ walk-through.
- Defrost freezer.
- Drain water hoses.
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances for move. (as applicable)
- Set aside items to travel with.
- Pack a box of items that will be needed first in your new home. Be sure to mark it "First Box/ Load Last" on the box.
- Confirm arrival of movers/ truck.
- Confirm hotel or temporary accomodation if needed.
- Give items away to charity.
- Kids/ Pets: Drop off kids/ pets at pre-arranged care sites.
- Clear outside walkway and driveway.
- Confirm bill of lading and inventory before signing.
- Do a final clean of your old home.
- Be sure to have someone at old home during move-out.
- Check boxes and belongings. Note any missing items or damages.
- Supervise loading and unloading.
- Final walk-through of new home.
- Be prepared to pay the mover and have cash on hand to tip workers.
In Your New Home
In Your New Home
Let current professional support services know that you've moved:
- Financial Planner
- Health Insurance Provider
- Insurance Agent
- Bank/Credit Union
- Auto Finance company
- Home care service providers (gardener, cleaning service)
- Install new batteries in smoke/carbon monoxoide detectors
- Re-key your locks
- Register to vote