Buying a Home
New Construction vs. Resale Homes
You may be looking at both new construction and resale homes. Besides the obvious (one is new and one isn’t) there are some differences between the two that you need to be aware of as you hunt for your next perfect home. Both are great choices, but which one is right for you really depends on what is most important to you and your family.
New Construction Homes
- Move in ready – you don’t have to upgrade or clean anything!
- If you buy during pre-construction, you may be able to have the builder customize certain features.
- Everything is brand new, meaning costly repairs like a new roof or HVAC system are years away.
- New homes often have many of the conveniences and design features that you have come to expect in a modern home.
- New homes are typically more energy efficient overall and sometimes come with energy efficient appliances and fixtures.
- New homes more than likely will cost more than resale homes, just like new cars cost more than used cars.
- New homes are typically built on smaller lots. If you want a big yard, a new construction home may not be for you.
- Because new construction homes are typically built in contemporary design styles, they may not have that “classic charm” that some people desire.
- Cost of landscaping is something to consider when looking at new construction homes.
- Mature landscaping is a benefit that cannot be underestimated. One thing you can’t really buy is a beautiful, big, old tree.
- Dreaming of a large yard to host parties, play with your dog, or build a treehouse for your kids? Older homes typically have larger lot sizes than new construction.
- In general, resale homes are less expensive per square foot than new homes.
- Older homes generally require more maintenance, as everything in them has seen some wear and tear.
- Pre-owned homes tend to be less energy efficient unless they’ve been upgraded with new insulation, windows, and appliances.
- In order to get a resale home to fit your exact style, you may need to change some cosmetic features of the home (like paint color, light fixtures, flooring, etc).
The best way to know which is right for you is to see both!
We’d love to take you to tour both new and resale homes in your favorite neighborhoods! Just give The Packer Group a call today at 734-707-7992.